Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How Can I Give?

I admit, this week has been a happy week for me so far.  Joyous and unexpected things have been happening, and the Lord is just so at work in every aspect.  So perhaps my my answer to this great question will be affected in a way that makes it sounds simpler than it is, but really, the answer is simple. 

God is sovereign.

Really, that's it.  It is so easy to look at the poor and hurting and oppressed, and to pass by like the Levite, with pretty excuses.  Of course, sometimes the excuses seem legitimate, even to ourselves, as we look at our funds and our abilities, and shake our heads once again.

For several weeks, I had felt it in my heart.  I knew I was supposed to do it.  I kept looking at my bank account and rejecting the Lord's leading, because to me it didn't seem possible.  Yet He is sovereign.  Finally I listened.  I didn't have 41 dollars always coming in each month.  Still He nudged me, and reminded me of His sovereignty, and His ability to provide above and beyond what we ask or imagine.

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever, Amen."  - Eph. 3:20-21

And so I sponsored Unith.  She lives in Uganda, and she just turned 19 last week.  For several days I questioned the wisdom in the decision, but had to keep coming back to the promises of the Lord.  He is sovereign.

Honestly, it's been incredible.  First He provided 2 flute cover orders to pay for the first month.  Then He provided two piano students, starting next month.  Now He has provided my first paying doula client.  I was shocked, until I realized I shouldn't be.  God is sovereign.

I don't share this story to guilt anyone into doing anything, I just want to remind you of this all-important, often-forgotten TRUTH!

God bless,
Sheila

1 comment:

Charne said...

Great testimony Sheila...enjoy the amazing journey your on!